Sunday, April 15, 2012

Ignorance (not mine this time)

"Here, Son, have a cookie," the Husband's cousin says. "It doesn't have any wheat," she tells me proudly. "I checked the ingredients."
As I grabbed the cookie out of the Son's mouth (who promptly starts to whimper), I show her how wheat is THE VERY FIRST INGREDIENT ON THE PACKAGE.
As I hand the son a Rice Krispie Treat from my purse to console him, I start to consider how many people out there have assumed similar things. Take his teacher at daycare. "Oh, okay. So he just can't eat bread then."
When I calmly (which is surprising considering the alarm bells going off in my head) told her that wheat is also in pasta, cookies, cake, etc she was in shock. It's amazing to me that so many people have graduated from high school and still do not understand where their food comes from. When the United Stated finally does switch to Common Core standards, that needs to be included. People need to know what their food is before they can have an inkling of an understanding about why people worry about food ethics, food intolerances, and food allergies. My son got sick the next day and he should not have. It's because people do not have an understanding of their food beyond the package it comes in and that is a very sad thing. This country really needs to step up its food awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment